Thursday, September 17, 2009

Perfection

Are you a perfectionist?  Are you hard on yourself because you can't live up to your own expectations?  Wow, this is a tough subject matter for me because this is the way I always use to be.  As I have explained in previously, growing up I had a difficult relationship with my Dad & no matter what I accomplished in my life, it never seemed to be good enough for him.  What happened with this "not being good enough" is that it caused me to to strive to be perfect & expect that others will be perfect as well.

This is a very difficult & very damaging way to be.  Not only does it close you off but it puts you into a cycle of negative behavior that's very difficult to get out of.  Your expectations of yourself leads you to feel badly because you can't find perfection in your daily life. Then you are lead to anger because everyone else in your life can't live up to the perfection you expect from them.

How do you get out of this vicious cycle.  The way I was able to find my way out was by starting with forgiveness of myself.  Why is this important?  The truth is that none of as human beings will ever be perfect.  We make mistakes, we say & do things that we later regret.  So by forgiving yourself first and understanding that you are going to make mistakes you can start to move past this toxic behavior. 

The finally part of getting past this behavior is to love yourself & to find the good in everyone else in your life.  Remember that everyone in their core is a divine being & no matter what they do or have done in their life they are just trying to do the best they can for themselves.  There's always something you can find about them that's good.  Forgive them for making mistakes, as you forgive yourself & love them for the good that they do.

Tomorrow, I have some family stuff to take care of so I won't have time to write.  I'll be back on Monday morning.  I hope you all have a great weekend.

Bill

Quote of the day: "Release the need to be perfect. Forgive & love yourself through any mistakes you make. Live a joyful life!"

No comments: