Friday, October 9, 2009

Be the Change

One of my favorite quotes is from Mahatma Gandhi "You must be the change you want to see in the world."  All change comes from within us & I've tried to embrace this idea over the past several years.  I've tried hard to be open & accepting to all people & all religions.  With this blog I've worked hard to do the same.  I've always been very interested in learning about all the major religions in the world & in fact I took comparative religions in both High School & College.  I bring this for two reason one; I believe the more knowledge we have about the other people we meet in our lives gives us the opportunity to be more open.  The second reason is; For me one the best examples of change is the prayer of Saint Francis.  For those of you who don't know this prayer here are the words:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

There are many interpretations of this prayer but to me it's about the Gandhi quote I lead off with.  We make choices in everything we do & if we choose to do the right thing in everything we do the world will be a better place for all of us.  Regardless of your religious belief's absorb these words & be the change in the world that you want to see.  

I believe that by opening up & living from a place of love we as individuals & together as a group can shift the consciousness of the world in our lifetime.  Imagine a world where we live in peace & harmony & all of us work to always do the right thing.  For me there could be no better place then this.

Start today & be the change you want to see in the world!

I hope you all have a great weekend.  I'm taking a drive to see fall colors on Monday & Tuesday so I'm not sure if I'll be able to write this blog (I will try).  Enjoy yourselves & I'll see you soon.

Bill

Quote of the day:  You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi 



Visit the National Gallery of Writing

No comments: