Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Reflection

I've mentioned before how we all need to try to quiet the noise around us & take time for ourselves.  I think this time is very important to be able to reflect on everything that's going on in your life, if you're fortunate to have a friend or a loved one to discuss your thoughts I believe you tend to discover many more things.  Why is this?  For me it has to do with the way my mind works.  I tend to like to discuss things with others to hear their point of view.  This openness tends to lead me to more creative solutions & to things I've never thought of.  I'm not saying this is the answer for everyone, I know that everyone works in a different way.  I can only say that this works wonders for me.

Why am I bringing this up?  Well, as many of you know I went for a drive the last couple of days to see the fall colors in Michigan & just to get away.  Since I've been laid-off I haven't been able to do much outside of the house, we are in a real money conservation mode.  But, we found a cheap place to stay & decided that getting away was important.  This trip gave me a lot of time to discuss things with Heidi & reflect on where to go from here.  That's why I have found this process so important.

Regardless of how you reflect on the things that are going on in your life.  Try to take time often to do it.  The idea behind this is to look at your life as an "outside observer" to reflect on what's going on & discover clues in every part of your life.  This is not always an easy thing to do & finding the time can be very difficult.  Trust me though it pays off in big dividends.  If you are by yourself, I would suggest writing down the major things that are going on in your life.  Then the feelings that surround those things, many times you'll find a theme or a consistent thread throughout these major events & feelings.  Once you're able to recognize the theme you'll be able to clarify where to go from here.  Self-reflection is never an easy thing to do but if you take the time it will pay off in big dividends.  Remember that God/universe only wants to give you what you want, by clarifying the messages that God/universe is sending you, you are able to see what you're truly sending out.  These "true messages" may not be what you think you're sending out but a deep seated believe you've always had.  By paying attention & reflecting on the things that are going on in your life you can start to change the messages you're sending out & change your life to bring you more joy!

Till tomorrow,

Bill

Quote of the day: "Take time to reflect on the things happening in your life. This time of thoughtful reflection will lead you to a more joyful life."



Visit the National Gallery of Writing

No comments: